View Single Post
Old
05-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresKings2611 View Post
I've been having a lot of problems with my balance, while either getting checked or checking someone else. I'm 16 now,and I play RW. I played from age 4 to age 8, then had to stop playing. I just started playing again last year, and the game was totally different, because we could check each other(last time I played at age 8, we still couldn't check). I was one of the worst players on my team last year, because I hadn't played in so long. I like to hit at any opprotunity, but whenever I hit someone, they get knocked down, and so do I. As soon as I make contact, I fall, but get right back up. I'm not exactly big for my age(5'8", 135lbs) but when I get checked, no matter how hard or not, I fall. My balance and all my hockey skills are way sub-par, obviously, because I haven't played in so long. Any tips on workouts or anything that can help me improve my balance? Or any tips on how I should take a hit? Thanks...
Ok, so we need to work on your balance from the beginning...Like starting over!

I posted this before and I tried to find it but...no luck, So I will write it again.

80% of hockey is skating...80% of skating is Balance! So let see if we can help you with this. It going to take some work on your part and you will probably fall on your a** with these drills, but after you have mastered these drills, you can get bumped / checked and still hold your balance.

First Drill: Start at one end at the goalie line. Place your feet in a "V", heels together, toes out. Now been your knees which will cause the skates to go in the direction of the "V". Now, just when your skates are maxed out before they start turning straight, I want you to jump off the ice about three inches high. When you jump, I want you to land back on the ice with your skates back in a "V". Now, I want you to do this down the full lenght of the ice to the other end. When you jump and bring the skates back into a "V" this is one cycle. I want you to do any many cycles down the ice as you can. The faster you bring the skates back to square one ("V") the faster you will go. Once you are fly down the ice, just using the inside edges, you have completed the first phase.

Second Drill: Now you do the same thing as drill # 1...but Backwards. This time you are going to put your toes together and your heels apart. Bend your knees and you will start to move backwards. Right when your feet are about a 1 1/2 feet apart, jump and bring you toes back together when you land. Yes, you are right...down the ice and back again.

Third Drill: Here's where it starts get fun. You are going to start at one end of the ice, at the goal line. Now, you are going to do two forward (Drill #1) on the third, you are going to jump in the air and turn 180 and land facing backwards. Then you do two backwards (Drill #2) and then...you got it, jump in the air 180 and land forward. This is one cycle! Your going to do as many cycles from one end of the ice down the other end. Now when you turn, if you turn clockwise from front to back, you turn clockwise from back to front. Always turn in the same direction. Now when you get down to one end, the you come back doing it counter-clockwise...get it!

Fourth Drill: Ok, now this drill is very similar to Drill #3. This time you single up the turn. So when you start off, you jump right away 180 backwards land, do one cycle backwards and jump 180 forwards. Always turning in the same direction. yes, you guessed it, all the way down the ice and then come back turning in the other direction.

Fifth Drill: Then you do five forward "V" cycles and on the sixth cycle, you do a 360 in the air and land back in the "V". Do 5 more forward "V" cycles and on the sixth cycle you do another 360 in the air and land in a "V".

Once you can do this, get ahold of me and we will show you the next step.

Here's a video to give you kind of an idea.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0gHv4MXY7E

If you follow this link below. I wrote some dryland tips for you to do off ice.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=514248

Hope this helps
Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 06-27-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote