View Single Post
Old
06-01-2009, 09:35 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Three years at 2.5 per would actually bring his cap hit down as well lock him up for a bit until he's ready to make big RFA dollars.
very unrealistic IMO.

I think anyone that is expecting him to sign for less than $3mill/yr is in fantasy land... what promising young dman in the game today has signed for less than that??

Why would Barker, and his agent, not look at what the market has currently been giving to young talented dmen with upside and sign for a deal that is "Hawk-friendly"??

look at all the young dmen that have signed contracts recently... Edler got $3.25mill/yr... Carle is at $3.5mill... Vlasic got $3.1mill... Suter $3.5mill... Meszaros is at $4mill.

Fact is that every single young talented dman with upside got at least $3mill/yr on their 2nd contracts after their ELC.... why would Barker sign for less? Is there any example of a good young dman extended in the last couple years that didn't get that kind of money?

If the Hawks don't offer at least $3.5mill/yr for him, I think he waits till July 1st... and considering the value that teams place on such assets - young up and coming blueliners - I have no doubt that he'll get a contract like that, if not more, with an offer sheet.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote