View Single Post
Old
06-01-2009, 11:50 AM
santiclaws

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
They're no different than the Yashin and Dipietro contracts that most people are so quick to derail.
While I agree with you that his contract is a concern, since there's a distinct possibility that he only has a couple of good years left in him (the list of great NHL'ers whose production fell off precipitously after the age of 31 or so is huge), you're not seriously comparing Vinny and Zetterberg to Yashin and DiPietro, are you??

I've been persuaded that this is a gamble worth taking, but let's not pretend that it is not a gamble. If Vinny is putting up a number like 20 goals and 30 assists at the age of 32, his cap hit will become very, very painful and will continue to be very painful for years to come. I think that him posting such low numbers at 32 is a fairly low probability, but it is indeed a probability.

P.S. Does anyone have a link to that excellent analysis Daniel Tolinsky did at hockeybuzz.com regarding the productivity of players after 30? Pretty eye-opening. And BTW, while looking for it, I noticed that Ek now says VL is going to Toronto.