Old
06-01-2009, 02:42 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by santiclaws View Post
While I agree with you that his contract is a concern, since there's a distinct possibility that he only has a couple of good years left in him (the list of great NHL'ers whose production fell off precipitously after the age of 31 or so is huge), you're not seriously comparing Vinny and Zetterberg to Yashin and DiPietro, are you??

I've been persuaded that this is a gamble worth taking, but let's not pretend that it is not a gamble. If Vinny is putting up a number like 20 goals and 30 assists at the age of 32, his cap hit will become very, very painful and will continue to be very painful for years to come. I think that him posting such low numbers at 32 is a fairly low probability, but it is indeed a probability.

P.S. Does anyone have a link to that excellent analysis Daniel Tolinsky did at hockeybuzz.com regarding the productivity of players after 30? Pretty eye-opening. And BTW, while looking for it, I noticed that Ek now says VL is going to Toronto.
Toronto and Montreal need Vinny while the Kings only want him. I think he'll cost too much the other way and the only way I see Vinny in a Kings uniform next season is if it's a steal for the Kings. Enter Toronto and Montreal, 2 teams willing to overpay and probably raising the stakes as they bid against each other. The hard reality of this offseason is that Vinny will probably go to a team other than the Kings, the Kings will select 5th overall and they will not sign a single impact free agent. It comes down to quantity and demand and Lombardi has not shown he is willing to outbid anybody unless your name is Michael Handzus (turns out good ol Deano was the only bidder). Oh, and the Kings will miss the playoffs while 17 year old kids tell fans of the Kings for 20+ years to remain patient.