View Single Post
Old
06-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Larry44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Frankly I have more issues with Lupul than I do with Danny. I still think a healthy Briere is our best offensive player (especially on the power-play) and would be fantastic on the right side of a line with Gagne and Richards. They would make up for his deficiencies and, likewise, Danny would ease the pressure on Richards to be a creative force, allowing him to play the more balanced game that suits him.
The problem with playing Briere with Richards and Gagne is that, unlike Knuble, he is not capable of pulling his weight in the hitting and forechecking dept (assuming we're giving him his customary exemption from backchecking and defensive play).

That would mean Gagne and Richards would have to do the hitting. Well, I'm worried about Gags' head, and I'm more worried about the wear and tear on Richards.

Richards just had surgery on both his shoulders, mostly from trying to hit too many bigger, stronger guys. This is the Wendel Clark Syndrome all over. If Richards keeps up the overmatched hitting, he's going to suffer the same chronic back problems that ruined Wendel's career.

And we can't afford a limited Richards (see the last half of Mike Ricci's career), esp. since he's signed for another 13 years at almost $6 million per.

Richards needs someone to help with the hitting, even if it's Lupul (if Knuble leaves), he isn't big enough to do it all by himself.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote