Old
06-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
There is some quality humor on the fringes of comedic trolling going on in this thread.

Ohlund would be nice but as mentioned I don't see it being the best fit money or contention-wise with what I'd think he expects.

Skrastins or Spacek could be more reasonably priced considerations I think could pair up well with Mezaros.

Personally I see them targetting someone more in the age range (mid to upper 20s) of Ranger and Mez than any of the elder statesmen likely to command higher dollar amounts. Beauchemin, Bergeron, Leopold, Zanon, or Oduya all seem like logical contenders in this category depending on what they could work financialy to fit one in. The oppurtunity to step into a big role might help entice some of these options as well.

As for other elder statesmen / last-gasp veterans, I don't see the Lightning offering big enough paydays or high enough chances at success to attract guys like Schneider, Blake, or even Aucoin. As much as that type of leadership might be needed to stabilize their blueline they just don't make much sense all other factors considered.

Trades remain the most common expectancy for improvement in this area. I really don't want to see the big deals (the 2nd pick and/or Lecavalier) go down that might bring forth a significant improvement. Nor do I think the Lightning have the greatest spare parts for making more minor deals that address this in a relevant manner.

After all that, it must be acknowledged that should they tender all of their RFAs they'll have Kraijcek, Smaby, Lundin, Lashoff, Wishart, Mihalik, Quick, and possibly Hedman all battling for somewhere between 2-4 spots on the team. Should they strike out on any significant UFA or trade upgrades, bringing back Cory Murphy and letting the aforementioned kids take another (hopeful) step forward won't necessarily be the worst fate in the world. Even if it does leave them looking at another high draft pick at the end of next year, they really need to develop/move some of these defensemen for hopes at long term success.
He he, must be so.

But I really agree with the things you wrote, I would love to see a guy like Beauchemin here, but I also doubt he will come due to the price, same goes with Ohlund and the other guys mentioned, maybe it could happend if Vinny would be traded, but I doubt so even then.

We have lot of guys so you think someone of them will take a step forward, specially now with a better system and camp in place than under Melrose.