View Single Post
Old
06-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Think about it this way. Here are the only starting goalies on the free agent market:

Nikolai Khabibulin-Don't want any part of him. In his two contract years, his GAA is something like .4 lower than in non-contract years. He's not in our price range anyway. 36 years old.
Manny Fernandez-Injury prone, has only ever really played in a defensive system. Dallas (Hitchcock era), Minnesota, and Boston and the Flyers certainly can't boast the defense either of these teams could. Will probably cost at least 3.5, which doesn't gi
ve us any room to address other areas. 34 years old.
Martin Biron-We know what we're getting with Marty, and rumor is he wants too much money. I won't give him anything more than 4.25, and he probably knows a team that needs a goalie will throw more than that at him. Again, wouldn't give us room to address any other areas. 31 years old.
Dwayne Roloson-old as hell. Would be a one year stopgap at best, and isn't even as good as Emery, or Biron. Cost might not be much, but again I want no part of him. 39 years old.
Craig Anderson-Anderson is the only option I kind of like, but not as a #1 goalie. I wouldn't be opposed to going into the season with a tandem of Emery and Anderson. One gets hurt or doesn't play well, the other is more than capable of stepping in and playing well. Wouldn't cost much, their combined salaries would probably equal what Biron would want.

That's it, that's the free agent market for decent goalies this year.
Isn't Clemmensen a FA, too? I think he's a pretty interesting name after what he did with Brodeur out this year.