Thread: One timer tips
View Single Post
06-08-2009, 10:13 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
I kind of disagree with the above guy, keeping your stick in the air is fine if you have teammates who know how to pass. To the actual one-timer part, I'm pretty good at it myself, but it depends on several factors. The worst problem I have is a pass too far behind. A pass exactly between the feet is ideal and it's even ok to skate into.
When you're standing still, follow the pass from your mates stick, get a nice, deep knee bend, keep your head following the puck until your blade contacts the ice, then look up and you're done. Practice it a bit.

Skating into a one timer is very, very tricky. I have yet to see anyone at any level who can do it at full speed with total accuracy, so don't bother trying unless your name is Kovalev. What you have to do is be squared up enough and follow the puck as intently as you can. The trick is to slide forward into the motion (almost like you're falling forward but not that intensely!) and completely bend the back knee in the follow through. Your back knee will end up on the ice and you will smash the hell out of it. Takes a lot of practice to get very accurate at. Good luck.
I'm not here to tell anyone how to play the game so your personal preference to skate around with your stick in the air is nothing I wish to alter...

However, if were going to talk about 'ONE TIMERS' were also going to be talking about FUNDAMENTALS because thats what gets us from 'learning to play' >>>> 'pros'

One of the MOST fundamental things were reminded to do in hockey is to keep the stick on the ice.

Its amazing how many players STILL make the fatal mistake of forgetting to do it....or maybe just flat out refusing to do it?

I'm aware there are exceptions to rules...but the ONE TIMER is not one of those times....contrary to popular belief.

Again...its all about fundamentals/common sense. Just re-read what 'MistaWrista says in his post:

"...keeping your stick in the air is fine as long as you have teammates who know how to pass...'

The in the next sentence he says: '...The worst problem I have is a pass too far behind...'

NEWSFLASH BUDDY: That pass went behind you because thats where your carrying your stick!

Think about it this way, in BASEBALL...99.98% of swings are actually inititated with what? A training/timing swing where the bat is 'centered' on its eventual desired destination in the middle of the plate. The hitter isn't just going through this ritual to 'look cool'. He/she uses this as a rythm and structure set point.

Hockey is really no different!

Granted, there are times when a player will intentionally take his/her stick OFF the ice ( looking for a deflection) but the truth is...MOST of the time your stick is OFF the are at a disadvantadge.

Its a TERRIBLE HABIT! We see it happening more nowadays, I think its more prevalent because the COMPOSITE sticks we carry are so much lighter than wooden or aluminium sticks. These new sticks are like helium baloons...floating up to waist level all the time. Its so easy for a player to get comfortable carrying his light-weight stick off the ice...its becomes instinct.

But again...its NOT the IDEAL approach.

When you START your 'one timer sequence' with your stick on the ice and square in front of your body you WILL provide the passer with an EXACT target and (like I said before) the % of 1 X-ABLE passes you recieve will increase!!!

If you practice and become comfortable with this technique you will also INCREASE the QUALITY of the shots your taking.

How? Same principal as baseball: Before you '****' your stick in the MUST 'REMIND' your brain and body where the centre-point (sweet spot) is for the desired 'STRIKE'.

A 'SWING' is a 'rocking motion' and it SHOULD BEGIN as such!

Therefore: We swing:

1) Centre of body.
2) To the back foot.
3) To the front foot.

This is the rythm of the SNIPESHOW,kids!

Dany Heatley is an OBVIOUS exception to the rule.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote