Thread: One timer tips
View Single Post
Old
06-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Everest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaWrista View Post
Alright, let me clarify literally. You don't have to keep your stick up the whole time. I do it once I see the passer's eyes looking at me. Personally, I've been told I am a very good passer and prefer the recipient's stick to be in the air because I can adequately judge their swing zone, especially if they are moving a little. It's a matter of preference, but no, don't sit in one spot with your stick up the whole time And the real key is practice, practice. Oh, and DON'T try skating one-timers until you get the standing still one-timers down well or you will bust your butt a lot

Some passers aren't going to wait to look you in the eyes before they give it to you.

Some passers will not even be facing in your direction when they set you up ...BUT... if you have your stick on the ice...some passers can magically create chances for you to one time pucks you weren't even expecting...eye contact is not neccesary. Just 'EXPECT' the puck with one simple rule of thumb: STICK ON THE ICE!!!

I agree with blueberrydanish. Like I said before...a HUGE AMOUNT of players make a very basic yet fatal error by NOT developing the habit of keeping their sticks on the ice.

Thats why I entered this advice into the thread.

You say you should punch someone in the head for not giving you perfect passes to 1 X?

I disagree. I think 1 X passes are very difficult to execute and even at the levels I have played...I would say over HALF of the moments where ONE TIMER shots MIGHT develop...never materialize because the pass is NOT quite in the 'wheel house'.

The 'wheel house' is: ESSENTIALLY a 10-16 inch wide target...often times it is a MOBILE target...only making it MORE difficult to thread the pass.

I defy ANYONE to stand 25-30 feet away from a STILL target that is 10-24 inches wide and hit this target at 50% success. Don't cheat either...the puck should have decent pace and it can't be rolling or airborne.

Once you can do it...then progress to a moving target of the same dimension. It should only take you about 10 years.

Now imagine trying to be thia accurate with all someone checking you, and skates, sticks and bodies cutting through your sight lines as you try and find your target.

Just saying...One timers are one of the most difficult plays in hockey to execute start to finish.

Most of the time we DO see them...they are happen-chance examples of a shooter being LUCKY ENOUGH to get a hold of a pass.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote