View Single Post
Old
06-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Whoops, missed that one.

Anyways, I don't think this changes anything. I think the Flyers' pursuit of Bouwmeester is fairly well-documented, the TSN guys were nearly positive we were trading for him at the deadline, to the point of checking their Blackberries after the Carcillo trade and saying that a deal for Bouwmeester was extremely likely.

I dunno, I just really think this is a dumb move in the long-term unless we decide to trade Coburn after this year.
Long-term, I find it hard to believe having a defenseman of Bouwmeester's level on our team would be a bad thing. Here's a hypothetical for how to construct our D going forward (with Bouwmeester).

Timonen-Parent
Coburn-Bouwmeester

I think that would clearly be the top 4. Carle and Jones at a combined 6M or whatever they come to are ridiculous to keep around this team...Jones obviously expires after next season, and Carle would need to be traded most likely.

That group right there could play 40-50 minutes a night, meaning you could go real cheap on your bottom pairing...fill it out with promising rookies and guys that can eat minutes (say, Guenin).

Now, all of this would still require to ship out Briere...something I'm not expecting to happen, so until I see reliable reports that a Briere deal is in place, then this stuff is all pure conjecture. Jones is easy to get rid of in the immediate, and I have to think they could figure out a way to move Carle.