View Single Post
Old
06-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
Hey guys, I could use some help.

I'm returning to organized hockey this October in my old minor hockey league. The games will be non-contact. I'm 18 now, the last time I played was in house league Bantam (I think that's like 13-14 or something). The two years before Bantam I was in B, but Bantam B is contact. I used to play as a very conservative defenseman. Since then I've been playing at the ODRs alot, where I normally play much more of a defensive game than most people.

OK, as you can see by the title I need to pick what position to play. I'm just going to give a quick description of how I play right now, at the ODRs and pickup. I like to skate hard and my favourite thing to do is chase people down. At the ODR, I'm the ******* who cares enough to go and catch up to people when they're on breakways. I'm decent at intercepting passes and I'm good at being on the defending side of a 1-on-1. I'm not very good offensively, I do score at least once or twice per outing usually but it's beating people with speed or luck. It is unlikley that I could score with any kind of regularity playing in an organized league.

Anyways, now that I'm going back though, I don't know what to put down for my position. Sure I used to play defense, but I played pickup throughout last year and I found that my backwards acceleration isn't all that great anymore, so guys could just blow by me if I wasn't in the perfect position. I remember when I used to play organized I would very rarely pinch, which made most games pretty boring. Also, I find that defensemen have alot of responsibility so I'm not sure if I should go back to that again, seeing as I haven't played structured hockey in years.

So, I was thinking I could be a kind of two way forward, the guy who doesn't score as much as his linemates but forechecks and backchecks hard, creates chances for his line, etc... So maybe I say I'm a winger, but I kind of feel that wingers are supposed to be the more offensively creative players and I'm definitely not that, plus my shot isn't great either. I can't beat anyone on a 1-on-1 if there set. Also, the winger is the guy who stands in front of the net and is supposed to tip and bang the puck home right? I'm pretty thin and I'm terrible at working the front of the net.

So then I thought I could be a centre but centres have more responsibility and are supposed to be really good at making plays, which again I don't think I'm good enough for. Plus, I don't have a clue how to take a faceoff.

So what do I do? Right now I'm leaning towards being a winger but I don't know, maybe centre is better...

Am I worrying too much? Probably, but I don't want to be the one guy on the team who doesn't know his own freaking position. I know I won't be a first liner or the go-to guy. Obviously this is low-level too so it doesn't matter I guess, but still.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Ok, here you go, why not play center. Playing center kind of gives you the best of the both worlds. Center is probably one of the hardest positions to play becuase you have to have great vision and beable to read and react as play developes.

As a centerman in your zone, you have a wide range to cover. Lets look at this picture below.

Notice the area in yellow in your defensive zone to the far left. I have place players within the zones within your defensive area. Now, as you can see, there is a box in front of the goalie where the centermen is responsible for. Nowever, it falls within the yellow area which means that this area is your responsibility as well. Your main focus is within the box in fron of the net.

But, if your defensemen is getting doubled teamed in the corner, it is your responsibily to go equal out the strength before he looses possession of the puck.

Every player within your defensive zone has a responsibilty to the team as a whole and that job is to play sub-zone hockey within their defensive zone. However, there are always exceptions to the rules.

So , lets line out some "Rules of the Road" for playing Center shall we.

1. Always win the draw at center ice.
2. Always keep your feet moving through center ice, never coast.
3. Pick up a man coming back into the defensive zone, do not let him enter alone.
4. Play your position within your zone.
5. Assist your defensemen when they are in trouble.
6. Move the on coming winger towards your winger in the trap.
7. If you can't trap, move to center as third defensemen, forcing puck carrier to move to the outside.
8. Puck support your defensemen.
9. First winger to start the breakout.
10. Tape to Tape passing.
11. Have the ability to have great vision and see the play develop.
12. Don't watch the goalie make the save, clear all rebounds.
13. Place your stick under the attacking players stick.
14. Pick one guy in front and stay with him until goalie freezes the puck.
15. Weave in the Neutral Zone.
16. Don't dump and chase, carry it in or regroup.
17. Be the first one to the puck in the attacking zone.
18. Game is won in the corner.
19. Set up behind the net in the attacking zone.
20. Work the "Give and Go"
21. Cycle in the attacking zone.
22. Be the playmaker.
23. On delayed penalties, cycle the puck back to the defensive unit to get the goalie off for the sixth attacker.
24. Stay out of the penalty box.
25. Learn pattern plays.
26. Take skating risks!
27. Do things what other players are not willing to do.
28. Take punishment in front of the attacking goalie.
29. NO retaliation!
30. Screen the goalie.
31. Use your stick to deflect.
32. Don't make saves for the attacking goalie.
33. If you can't screen, move into position for the rebound.
34. Keep your head up!
35. Win every draw in the attacking zone.
36. This needs repeating: "Set up behind the net in the attacking zone!"

If you need any clearity with this list, PM me and I will go over it with you.

Good Luck
Head coach