View Single Post
Old
06-09-2009, 07:13 PM
kovalost27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
We have a bunch of youngsters, it's time we put them on the front lines. If they don't show up and we have to resort to playing Kovalev 19Min again, so be it.
But in no way should that be our strategy today looking forward into next year.
I cannot disagree with you on this one, except that Andrei had his best season as a left wing on a line with Plekanec and Kovalev. Gainey put a big role on Kostitsyn, Plekanec and Kovalev to continue the work they had been doing and progress. Instead of progression, they looked incompatible with one another and none of them had the season they did the year before. This doesn't mean that Kovalev is to blame for Kostitsyn's bad season, nor vice versa.

I think that Kostitsyn will be played again next season in the top two lines (as either a left or right winger). If Andrei is playing right wing and he out produces Kovalev, well then he earns his spot. If not, well at least Kovalev, even on a bad season, scores between 50-70 points. Until that time comes, Andrei Kostitsyn is undeserving of more game time than Kovalev.

If you play the game of numbers with regards to points per ice time, Kovalev played the extra minutes on the penalty kill for the most of the season because he is more defensively responsible. Andrei Kostitsyn isn't as good on the PK as Kovalev is, so Kovalev did the job with Plekanec. On the powerplay last year, our three most effective and essential players were Markov, Schneider and Kovalev.

Andrei scored 23 goals in a couple of very short hot streaks. Kovalev scored his points slowly, without ever having a hot streak, until after his break when he was lined up with Koivu and Tanguay. Kovalev is far more of a consistent hockey player.

Anyways, this is futile and I think we both know that if both Kovalev and Kostitsyn have great seasons next year, the team will do very well because they are our two main goal scoring forwards.

Last edited by kovalost27: 06-09-2009 at 07:21 PM.
kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote