View Single Post
Old
06-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Exactly. I don't understand all the anger directed at Emelin in this thread. Obviously the Habs weren't offering him a 1-way deal (but they can't under the Entry Level system anyway), so he stayed home and will make tons more money in the KHL.

He might not even be good enough to warrant a 1-way deal even if they were allowed, however, so I don't see how there's any real concern for us to attach to it other than to shrug our shoulders and move on. Seems like all sides made the right decisions, IMHO. And I don't think you can even fault the Habs for drafting him either. The way he came on as a teenager, his physical style and his WJC performances, those were all looking great for a 3rd rounder. There wasn't the same situation with Russia as there is now. It was obviously a good draft pick, good scouting judgement. Things haven't subsequently worked out, but that happens. No biggie. Lots of 3rd round picks don't even have the temporary glimmer of hope and potential attached to them that Emelin did for a while there.
Well the frustration might come from Emelin, or whatever story that got out where he said that he got screwed, that he wanted to come here 2 years ago but was "forced" to play down there and that his goal was to play here and all that BS....Surely, he has all the right to change his mind, but I also have the right to think that he was full of it if/when he said that 2 years ago.

As far as everybody not being at fault here, well I don't agree. Not with the latest stories that happened even if they are not necessarily similar ones. Perezhogin, Valetenko, Emelin, no Korneev, no Trunev in the CHL......Clearly, somebody is not assessing those players correctly. While players like Grachev and Anisimov are accepting the Rangers offers and would be great players for years to come. And surely those players would have got much better KHL offers than all of our prospects together.

It's also a question of philosophy. I mean with or without the KHL, you still have the Russian League. Buturlin didn't have the KHL and still decided to go against what the Habs wanted for him. If I'm not mistaken, the Habs really like what Tarasov had given them in Quebec but then he decided to go back. But then rarely do we go for Finnish or Swedish players even if we would decide to go the Euro route.

So I would not avoid Russians, but I would choose the right ones. Would be more careful and would definately do whatever tests you need to do in order to really know their intentions.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote