View Single Post
Old
10-08-2004, 11:19 PM
Pitkanen44

vCash: 500
Agreed

I was at the game, too, and was prepared to write up extensive comments. However, kingjdv pretty much nailed it and said what I was going to say. There was no energy (aside from the fights) and NO offense. The entire game was spent in the defensive zone. They were just dominated. My solace comes from the fact that some key skilled players - Sharp, Pitkanen, Slaney, Jones, White, to name a few - were scratched.

Best players on the ice, IMO: Norfolk D Jim Vandermeer & D Anton Babchuk. It's really a shame that Jimmy V is not a Flyers prospect .

Best Phantoms: none.

Biggest Surprise: David Printz. I've heard good things this summer after thinking he was a fading prospect last year, but his play was still surprising. He played Top-3 minutes, including 1st-pair (w/Seidenberg) PP time. He's big, and he really surprised me with his hitting -- I previously had the impression that he was soft.

Most ice time: Seidenberg. This guy played the entire game. He clearly has more skill than most AHL players, but he couldn't get much going with the losers they threw out there with him tonight. His play in the defensive zone was not as tight as I'd like to see from him.

Overall, a horrible effort. No signs of offense or skill.

Good news: this is NOT the Phantoms team that will skate on Opening Night.

PS: I saw Chris McAllister just hanging out in the parking lot after the game. He looked like a regular fan - dressed in a long-sleeve shirt with a T-shirt over it. A few people recognized him and had some kind words for him. I can see that the comments about him wanting to play here are true -- it was almost as if he was hanging around outside, waiting for them to invite him to join the team.