View Single Post
Old
06-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I'm also excited about Shirokov possibly coming over.... the guy has been very productive in the KHL at a very young age... he's put up similar stats to guys like Yashin and Radulov, who have had offensive success in the NHL.

He could end up being a real steal for this team... at 23 now, and after leading his KHL team in scoring, I don't see him having to spend much time in the AHL either... if he's signed, he's likely to get a roster spot with the Canucks next year... not sure where he'd fit, but adding talent is never a bad thing.
It will depend upon whether or not Shirokov is free to sign a contract with the Canucks. He is not on the list of free agents but it may be incomplete:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/free_a...p?LeagueID=KHL

During his May 31, 2009 State of the NHL address Bettman reiterated that the NHL will only allow players to sign who are free of contractual obligations with other leagues despite what the KHL did with Radulov.
Quote:
Then their response is they keep listing a variety of players at different times that they claim we signed inappropriately. And every time thereís been any sort of determination either by a judicial panel or the I.I.H.F. itís been determined that weíve never let a player be signed who wasnít free to sign.
The conversation about Russia not wanting to lose its best players, I understand from a nationalistic standpoint where theyíre coming from. But itís not the real world anymore. We canít keep players out who teams want to sign who are free to come and sign contracts.