View Single Post
Old
06-11-2009, 11:30 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillaege View Post
I don't think its as big an impossibility as you make it out to be. As I described in an earlier post, if the trade is made after July 1st, Nashville will only be on the hook for $6.2 million per season, for 5 years, which is great value for a player of Heatley's calibre. If a trade is based around say Weber/Heatley, you only pick up $1.7 million in extra salary. That also doesn't take into consideration the massive raise he's gonna command in 2 years, where he might be able to command more than 6.2 million per. Now, if from a strictly hockey perspective you argue that Weber isn't available, even for Heatley, I won't disagree with you, but I don't think financials will be what holds this deal back.
Problem is that his deal is longer than just this year and his contract might prevent things like the extension of the younger foundational players. Nashville is a defensive minded team and they build like a baseball team, from the middle out. (Goal, defense, centers) Nashville's philosophy does not support expensive wingers. Anything is possible with numbers but will the team you build NOW be just as good as the team LATER? Nashville tries for a balance. Roster up to 46 million and use the extra 2 million for a trade for a playoff push.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote