Old
06-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
Hey all,

This question is as much for salary cap buffs as it is for Wings fans.

In short, my question is -- if a player retires, does his cap hit come off the books?

I ask this with regards to Zetterberg and Franzen. The two players are signed until they are 40 and 41 years old, respectively. Though playing to that age can and has been done, I doubt either of these players makes it to that age. Was this a deliberate move on behalf of both the players and the organization? I.e. - reduce their cap hit while they are actually playing (by offsetting their high salary with a very minimal salary during the latter years of the contract) and each player retires in their mid-late 30s?

If my interpretation is right, then Holland is even more of a genius than most give him credit for (which is already a ton). I just don't understand why it hasn't been discussed a lot by the media. Moreover, if my reasoning is correct, do you think there is any chance that the NHL will bring in some sort of stipulation to prevent teams from circumventing the cap (which is more or less what this is doing) in the future? Again -- it seems genius to me!

IIRC, if the player signs after(or he is) 35, then it still counts against the cap. If it's before, then it comes off. This applies to Lidstrom, Draper and Maltby(I think thats all they've got?).

Yes, the NHL will want to cut the loophole out, so get it while you can.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote