View Single Post
Old
06-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Semper Sens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Ray Bourque did A LOT of running and in interviews credited it (along with an exercise bike) with his stamina.

Of course he was Ray Bourque .... I would think riding a bike indoors would be better on the joints. I doubt Ray would have run much had he had a serious knee injury playing hockey.

I agree. I asked my doctor about running for health and he said it's not worth the risk to your joints, especially considering there are so many other things you can do that give the same benefit (swimming, biking, just hitting a heavy bag).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcflyy97
IMO, you will not benifit from running. You need to train to the specificity of hockey. Meaning you do all your sprinting and agility on the ice, while doing hockey specific lifting.

I don't think cardio training needs to be "hockey specific." Cardio training should be straining your heart and lungs, not training your feet to be quicker or your skating muscles to be stronger. You're just trying to increase the amount of time you can skate hard, battle for the puck, etc...

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote