Thread: News Article: NHL 10 worst contracts.. Briere #6
View Single Post
Old
06-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
A groin pull has nothing to do with being in shape or not. I don't know how much the training staff had to do with this one (not much is my guess), but a groin pull is just an injury that takes a damn long time to heal, especially for a hockey player since hockey requires so much core strength and flexibility.

I think Briere was unlucky to get that abdominal injury and then may have rushed to come back (every player is going to want to come back early) and picked up the groin problem.

I think the onus is on the medical staff to keep Briere from coming back until he's 100% healthy, that's their frickin job. I find it at least suspicious that Briere got a clean bill of health from the staff and then picks up an extremely similar injury in his first or second game back.
I'm not blaming Briere in any way, shape or form...but it could be possible that the workouts he conducts with Hugo in the off season, aren't exactly 'groin friendly'. I now Jim Rutherford talk at length about the rise of groin injuries that he's seen in recent years and he feels it has a lot to do with the amount of working out the players doing. Could he be wrong, absolutely.

As far as putting blame on the training staff, their only as good as the player allows them to be. If Briere tells them he feels little if any pain, what do you want the training staff to do? I'm not saying it's either party that should be held accountable, but it's possible they are both partially to blame.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote