View Single Post
Old
06-15-2009, 09:36 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I have no doubt Leino could rack up points next year and I've basically penciled him into Hudler's spot myself. But that's next year. This year the guy still made numerous low quality/high risk decisions when he was on the ice that we were lucky to not get burned on. Maltby might be far far less explosive, but he's also more reliable. The same with Draper and Holmstrom.
Well, it is next year we're interested in, right? I mean, it's in the thread title and whatnot...

I would like to see Leino get a chance to work out some of the kinks in the regular season in the hopes that by playoff time, he could be playing at a high level at both ends of the rink.

In the playoffs, if anything I thought he was too cautious in the offensive zone and did not make enough aggressive moves toward the net. That's a balance he will work on and either he'll continue to develop, or he'll be a 3rd liner that chips in.

Leino also scored as many goals with the big club as Maltby, nearly as many points, and was a +5 compared to Maltby's -9 with the big club. That's in 65 fewer games.

And Maltby's minus can't be chalked up to him playing against elite offensive players anymore either, because he was used mostly as an energy player and not a defensive stopper. That was a preemptive SHH!

Didn't Leino play with Hossa in the regular season, and weren't they pretty good together? Or am I remembering wrong?

Reliable is only a good thing if a player is reliably GOOD. Maltby, Draper and Homer have not been reliable that way for at least a year.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote