Thread: News Article: NHL 10 worst contracts.. Briere #6
View Single Post
Old
06-16-2009, 01:49 AM
flyboys15

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
As much as Kimmo is the man now and hes the best player on the team, hes going to be 38 when that contract expires and to be paying a 37 or 38 year old dman 6.4 million is kind of scary. Right now we all love it but we might not be loving it so much in 2 years when hes 36 and making 6.4 million while we are desperately trying to sign Gagne, Carter, Giroux and Spisa all in one summer. Kimmo has been mentioned very often as having a bad contract, this isnt the first time.

Honestly, I wouldnt mind moving him for a younger dman if we had the chance(Kimmo + for someone like phaneuf). Only because that contract could really suck in 2 years when he might not be good enough to be the rock of the first pairing.
I won't deny that the contract certainly takes on more of a risk as he gets older but its not unreasonable to believe that he can serve out his role then as he does now.

I think it's fair to compare Kimmo to Matt Schneider, who is 40 yrs old, has remained on top pairings and served his power play positively. So far the contract has worked out great for both sides and yes, it's scary as a player gets older but you can also choose to look at it this way: we have half our top pairing, a veteran leader, and a key component to our pp locked up for years to come.

flyboys15 is offline   Reply With Quote