View Single Post
Old
06-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I don't think so in this case.

I think in Rounds 2-7, that's a good philosophy, but in Round 1, organizational need has to come into play.

I mean, the Lions did BPA 3 years in a row and ask them how that worked out.

You have to at least consider organizational need in the 1st round. It shouldn't be a deciding factor, but it needs to be a consideration and right now, it really makes no sense for the Flyers to trade into the top-5 unless they get Hedman/Tavares.
Actually, I could not disagree more. Rd. 1 is the round where it is most important that you draft BPA, as those are the players that are most reliable in their "panning out." Further you go in the draft the more of a complete guess it is, so, sure, load up at positions after there and hope you find a gem at whatever position you need, but Rd. 1 ABSOLUTELY needs to be all about an evaluation of pure talent and getting the best possible talent, regardless of position.

If you are vehement about drafting a position, then trade down...but drafting someone over their slot just because you want position X is flat stupid, and poor asset management.

As for the Lions...you could question a couple of things: 1) did they draft the best players...since they appear to have drafted a lot of BUSTS, which leads me to believe they weren't doing a good job of figuring out BPA; and 2) they should have traded down.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote