Thread: Prospect Info: 2009 Draft Discussion Thread
View Single Post
Old
06-16-2009, 11:36 PM
deano

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
If the Kings are ever going to be successful they need to worry more about what is happening in May (playoff hockey) than at the end of June (Entry Draft). The draft is fine and can be exciting....but if that is the only thing to be excited about as a Kings fan it is pretty pathetic. If the Kings are winning games like they should then they should not even be in a position to get one of the top prospects in next year's draft (because they will be drafting in the 15-30 range).
I don't see it as only looking forward to the draft next year. I look at it as operating from a position of strength. If you can trade down and get a player you like, while picking up assets, why not. Next year is going to be another deep draft class that has probably more skill and talent in the forward corps than this years class. An extra second round pick or two could move you up the draft board or land you a player for the playoff push.

That being said, I'm fine with us trading the 5th overall if it gets us the right player. I'm not thrilled with the idea of getting Heatley because he comes with more baggage than I hope to see on this team. Lecavalier is great and a proven winner, so as long as Stoll or Handzus go the other way I'm fine with it. My statement is entirely based on if Lombardi kept the pick.

One thing for sure is that I have a ton of excitement and anxiety concerning what DL is going to do at the draft/July 1.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote