View Single Post
Old
06-17-2009, 11:23 AM
CapsWolverinesUSA

vCash: 500
The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that, if we're not going to add top-6 talent via free agency or trades, we should give Giroux and Aucoin a significant chance to play with Semin and/or Laich on the 2nd line in the preseason.

I know all the "only an AHL player" concerns. But Giroux and Aucoin had ridiculous chemistry and put up insane numbers on an AHL championship team that used the same system as the Caps. The skill and speed from a guy like Semin on the other wing could really make up for a lot of the concerns about these guys being a little slow for NHL scoring roles. Or, the hardworking two-way game of Laich would be a close replica to the role Graham Mink filled in Hershey, except with proven NHL ability.

This would be such a cheap way to fill our gaps in the top-6. While I'd certainly rather be aggressive and go get some proven veterans, if we're not going that route, I would love to see this option succeed over sticking a combination of disjointed 3rd liners together and calling it a second line.

Don't know if it will work, but I want to see it given a chance.