View Single Post
Old
06-18-2009, 08:09 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Ever heard of Alex Ovechkin, Mike Green, Nicklas Backstrom, or Sergei Fedorov? Besides, IIRC Vanek spent most of his time on Roy's line when those two were on the Sabres anyway.

I guess I worded things a bit strong, but I won't back down from the belief that Semin has better support around him. He's also playing in probably the most offensively-oriented system in the league. Vanek seems like he's sometimes bottled up by Ruff and a lack of firepower on his team.
If you're going to use the line argument rather than the "teammates" argument, you then have to point out that Semin's best goal scoring season came with Kris Beech as his primary center, and this season he usually had Fedorov to play with. You think either of them compare to Roy offensively?

The fact is both of these players had great supporting casts offensively, but neither got the primary benefits of their team's best offensive support on their own lines (at least 5-on-5) most of the time.

Vanek's better defensively probably (Semin is no slouch other than in discipline), Semin's got the better wrist shot, Vanek's better in front of the net, Semin's the better playmaker.

Good comparison, I don't know which way I'd choose honestly.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote