Thread: Proposal: Van - Ott
View Single Post
Old
06-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Barney Gumble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
What does that have to do with the Eastern Conference?
Didn't you just play Wellwood in the top-6 after he couldn't stick with the Leafs?

Nobody thinks he's a legit top-6 player, but he did well in the second half last year with Fisher and Foligno. So he's been given a 1 year, 600k deal to prove himself over a full season and fight off Regin and Zubov behind him.

The Canuck couldn't afford to keep him in their top-6 to start the season with the small Sedins, Demitra, Raymond and Wellwood. Add Shannon to that and you have the smallest and weakest top-6 in the NHL. On our team, Shannon was joining two good sized forecheckers in Fisher & Foligno, a top-6 that includes 6-4 Heatley and 6-3 Spezza... as well as Alfie, who I can only imagine could beat the crap out of every Vcr player I listed above.
I'm not really interested in getting into this Shannon debate - he wasn't given a decent chance to succeed with the Canucks IMHO - but Wellwood wasn't put in a top six role with the Canucks (other than due times whenever there was injuries due to guys like Demitra). When he wasn't scratched, he was a 3rd line center mostly.

As for "6-3 Spezza", please...he's not much grittier or a much better forechecker than either Sedin ("small Sedin" - what are they, one inch or less shorter than Spezza?). That isn't to say he isn't a legit top ten #1 line center - which he is of course.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 06-18-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote