View Single Post
Old
06-18-2009, 02:21 PM
malyk

vCash: 500
From the current roster I think the only two guys you really have to hold on to long term are Green and Schultz.

I know most don't really like Jeff, but his numbers are very impressive for a 23 year old guy. He's not big and mean, but he could turn out to be chara-lite given his size, etc. Take that with a grain of salt, but Chara had back to back -27 seasons on long island before moving to the senators and posting a +30. Schultz has been +5, +12, +13 in his 3 years in washington. Those numbers are pretty impressive for a guy who contributes almost nothing offensively. Think of it this way, it isn't really surprising that Green would have a high +/- because he pots a PPG. Schultz does it by keeping pucks out of the net. He's also on the ice for a lot of goals for, so that tells me that he not only keeps pucks out of the net, but that he also does a good job moving the puck up the ice.

Anyway, the point is that green and schultz should be the foundations of the home grown defensive core. All the other players on the current roster will probably move along in short order (pothier's, poti's, erskine's contracts are up in 1 or 2 years. Mo and Jurcina are RFA's and, i would think, won't get long term deals this summer.

malyk is offline   Reply With Quote