Thread: Sock tucking
View Single Post
06-20-2009, 01:35 PM
vCash: 500
Mainly you really should for safety reasons keep your sock over the outside of your skate especially in the back. I think everyone saw Robert Lang get his leg cut in the back by getting stepped on with a skate and it severed his muscle or tendon or whatever happened officially.

The back of a skate as everyone knows has a guard for the back muscle and tendon and when pitched forward a gap opens up and a skate can go in there and cause bad damage. This is obvious and we all know this already so why not wear a sock over it like malkin does in the picture above.

I do ... and I also have my tongue tucked under my shinguard. I lace my skates right up to the last eye hole on the top of the skate and the tongue absolutely cannot hang out.

This may be preference though as I like my ankle locked an immobile. I have a little natural flexability even with the skate laced up all the way.

After I have my gear on I use one strip of clear tape on my ankles LOOSELY and not taped stiffly. This is only there to help hold the sock around my ankle.

I was talking with a guy the other day at a pro shop who used to play semi-pro and he could not understand how some people do not lace their skates up all the way. It forces you to use more muscle and work more to get skating pressure on pushoffs, quick starts and striding etc.

My skate looks like this when laced up and my shinguard and sock go over it.

To each his own I guess.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote