Thread: Proposal: Bos/Van
View Single Post
Old
06-21-2009, 09:42 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Kessel is a nice player, but IMO his value will be higher than a team like the Canucks should be paying for him.

First off, the Canucks don't exactly have a lot of depth overall, so trading a package for Kessel will hurt the organization's depth even more than it would for a lot of other teams.

Secondly, Kessel may bring a lot of scoring to the lineup, but overall the Canucks aren't a particularly big team, and could use more toughness in their top 6 as is... having Kessel with the Sedins (if they're re-signed) and Demitra, adds up to a very soft top 6.

If I'm the Canucks, I'd be waiting to target the Bruins next year... it'll be a risk, but I think the player that the Canucks really want is going to be easier to land next year, especially if the Bruins keep their current pieces in place.

A year from now, the Bruins only have 5 forwards, 2 dmen and their starting goalie locked up, with a total payroll of close to $35mill. Lucic is also a RFA, and while the Bruins are likely going to do whatever they can to keep him, he would be a perfect addition to the Canucks, while also being a local Vancouverite, and a self-admitted Canuck fan growing up. maybe unlikely, but he's the player that the Canucks would really want, and the only way you're going to get him from the Bruins would be if they're in a tight payroll situation with him hitting RFA status.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote