Thread: Breakaways
View Single Post
Old
06-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
So I am fairly new rec league player and have been playing in a 3 on 3 summer league and working on my skating at open skates and an adult powerskating class. The good part of this is that I've had 5 breakaways in the last 2 games. The bad part is I'm 0 for 5 on breakaways. I need help.
Well, lets talk about this for a second.....

Here's what I want you to do, and what I want you to asks several of your friends on your team including the goalie and then let compair notes.

Here's the question I want you to ask them....

Why do goalies come out on a break-a-way?

Goalies will tell you to make themselves look big in the net and cut down the angle.
Forwards will tell you that the minute this happens the only thing on there mind at this time is to deke because the goalie has all of this space behind them....

Well, here's what I would like for you to stop and think about for just a second....

In a regulation game and you get a break-a-way, there are a lot of things going through a players mind, especially when the game is close. here are the things that go through their mind as they get that puck and head to the blue line to enter the zone....

1. If I score, I will be the hero
2. If I score, I might get to go to McDonalds (12 and below)
3. If I score, I might get lucky tonight. (15 and above)
4. etc......

So as you can see the shooter is in a lot of pressure to get the job done. So when the goalie comes out, his one job only in doing this is to mind set the shooter to deke.

Once he gets the shooter to deke...the goalie has a higher percentage of making the save then if the shooter shots in the slot.

Here, do this little drill....

This drill takes two people. One person had the puck and the other person has their hand up in front of them like they are going to shake hand, but with his thumb in position like he is making a letter "C" with his hand.

Now, the second guy places the puck between the finger and thumb and wiggles the puck back and forth and then let's go of the puck. The other person needs to catch it before it leaves his hand. The odds are really good that he can't. Why? Reaction time. The puck is too close.

This little drill holds true to a shooter and a goalie. If you come close to the golaie and he comes out, as you approach you close the distance rate and then the goalie has less reaction time to make the save....get it!

So, when you come into the slot, I don't care how much room the goalie gives you behind for the deke, you shoot in the slot with a "NO" communication shot. Like a snap shot!

If you drop your shoulder, it looks like a wrist shot and this might get him to drop in a butterfly. But there are a lot of great goalies that will not fall for this.

However, the minute you come down on a goalie, while you stick handle, the goalie will know that you can not score until you open up the face of the blade so it is facing him, then it's time to dance.

So, if you come down the ice with you stick face open towards him, then it will freeze him in this tracks. Why?

If he continues to move backwards, he has to shift his weight from leg to leg as he moves back. If you can see this shift, wait until he shifts and then shoot towards the leg that he is place the weight on.

But a lot of goalie, once they see that stick open, will stop and get ready for the shot. So a nice snap shot does the trick right in the slot.

Remembers the puck trick, you will have the reaction time on the goalie.

Hope this helps.
Head coach

Last edited by Headcoach: 06-21-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote