View Single Post
06-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Doing Nothing
vCash: 500
4k's are not going to cut it for a guy who's 6'4" and 280 pounds. You really need to get some stiffer skates.

There really isn't any such thing as weak ankles, because you wouldn't be able to walk if they were weak. You either have poor balance or you have bad skates. And it really sounds like the latter in your case.

I'm only 5'8" and when I was 185-190 I wore through a pair of Vapor VII skates in just a few months. The ankles would collapse and I could twist the boot with my bare hands. I invested $250 into a pair of Vapor XIX's and problem solved, plus my skating improved by leaps and bounds when I got skates with the proper support.

I would highly, highly recommend a quality stiff skate. Anything second from the top in terms of price would do the job. If you're broke, check out used skates like Supremes and Tacks, just make sure when you squeeze the top of the boot that there isn't much give. You definitely shouldn't be able to touch the sides of the boot together when squeezing.

And of course, make sure you get fitted properly for the skates. Each brand fits different and stiff skates don't "break in" like older ones want something that's comfy with plenty of support from the get go.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote