Thread: Brent Sutter
View Single Post
Old
06-22-2009, 04:03 PM
guyincognito

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
3 months ago, I thought Sutter should be an coach of the year candidate for how he kept the team together when Brodeur went down.

But with about a month left in the regular season, something happened. Maybe it's just me looking for signs in retrospect, but it really seems that Sutter lost his fire. Maybe he got homesick and lost his ability to give 100% to the Devils? I don't know. But I do know that he seemed to be going through the motions. His first season, if a line combo didn't work, he switched it up (perhaps too much). All of a sudden, the Zubrus line goes stone cold and Sutter... does nothing.

In the playoffs, he goes to the Madden linematching strategy and it obviously wasn't working. Carolina dominated the Devils from the time Maurice put Staal with Whitney. And Sutter... didn't change anything. Not a single adjustment to try to fix what wasn't working. It was mind boggling.

Was Sutter just going through the motions to play out the rest of the year when his hart wasn't really in it? With all the rumors of him wanting to leave and then the way it transpired, it seems to me that is what happened. And it's unforgivable. Larry had the decency to quit when he couldn't handle coaching anymore. Sutter went through the motions to keep cashing his salary (the highest in the league?)
Other than Gretzky, yeah, that's what has been said. I'm guessing around Pando's salary.

guyincognito is offline   Reply With Quote