View Single Post
Old
06-22-2009, 04:10 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
How are the best players supposed to step-up when the coach severely cuts their ice time? The fact that Jay Pandolfo was getting more ice time than the team's second leading scorer and the guy with the most playoffs points this decade is unacceptable. And don't give me the loss of defense argument. Elias is and has been a regular penalty killer most of career and the center of that line has been used in a shutdown role in the past.

A good coach figures out a way to get a player going and to get him away from a bad matchup. Often that includes give said players extra shifts on the bottom lines. Where was sticking Parise with Madden and Shanny a couple of times? how about stick Elias with Rolston and Clarkson a couple shifts? That helps both the stars and the depth players going. This is coaching 101 and I would expect the highest paid coach outside of Gretzky to understand that.

What you had was a coach with one foot out the door and headed to Calgary. It looked like at best he didn't care and at worst he was trying to get fired to help clear the path to Calgary.

I don't want to ever hear the Sutter's are people of integrity because in the case of Brent and probably Darryl it just isn't true.
I read this post after making my post about how I suspect Brent was just going through the motions at the end of the year. Glad I'm not the only one to suspect it. I doubt he was purposely trying to get fired, but he was certainly coaching like a guy who didn't give a crap.

Game 7: 14 minutes of ice time to the leading playoff scorer for the last decade, just coming off a PPG season, and healthy enough to play in the World Championships after the Devils lost. Yes, Patty wasn't playing his best, but Sutter did absolutely nothing to help him out.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote