Thread: Salary Cap: Hindsight 20/20 Which Defenseman?
View Single Post
Old
06-24-2009, 09:32 AM
Puckhead58*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLapierre View Post
Souray! Man, he was a fierce leader and an amazing shooter. I'd trade Hamrlik + Fischer for Souray any day of the week.

At least Souray doesn't float!

No...he just stands in his own end and watches everybody skate around him and score nice goals.

Souray is a statue....or at least he was when he played in Montreal. He was a rotten defencemen and thats why we didn't overpay him to re-sign.....smart move on Gainey's part and I'm glad he's gone. We got Hamrlik instead who can give us 30 points a season and play solid defence in his own end. Great move by Gainey and anyone who disagrees with that, doesn't know what playing defence means!!!!

Streit and Beauchemin are the only 2 guys that I think we made a mistake by not re-signing them.

In Beauchemin's situation....he was lost on waivers. He wasn't ready to play in Montreal yet so we were sending him back to the AHL and Doug MacLean picked him up on waivers. Not much we could do about that.

Streit was a different issue. He didn't play much defence for the Habs in his last season, he was mostly playing upfront because he was weak on defence. He was great on the blueline on the powerplay, but 5 on 5 he wasn't strong enough to fit into our top 6 guys. I guess we should have gave him a better chance to prove himself and maybe then we would still have him scoring 50 points for us.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote