View Single Post
Old
10-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717
As I posted before, its not a matter of right or wrong, the owners are billionaires and they didnt become billionaires by making bad deals. The players should cave because the owners wont. A real good player has a 10 year career. Are they going to lose 10% of there career income? The rank and file are going to start getting very antsy come december when they have already lost two months of paychecks.

The owners have the wearwithall to wait this out and get the deal they want.
It's not like the players clueless about what was coming. I'm sure that the vast majority have been putting away money because of the lockout. I mean, after I graduated college I landed a job earning $12,000 a year and managed to save over $2,000 by the end of the first year (rents were a whole lot cheaper then). And it's not like the players have been paying a lot of out of pocket expenses during the season either--I had to pay for my own lunch on the days I worked. Players get a rather large meal allowance and of course hotel and airfare during the season. Plus, there is no law against them working for some pocket change during the lockout, not to mention that the NHLPA also has a substantial lockout fund to help out players who haven't had the ability to save enough if this goes on for a long time.

I think you are vastly underestimating the resolve of the players. Maybe by December 2005 they will be hurting, but not now. And owners are not exactly without responsibilities too. They have fixed costs running in the millions which don't go away just because they are not paying players. There are arenas that are empty--how many nights do you think the Garden has filled in its schedule on nights there were supposed to be hockey games? There was a report recently saying that of the three local arenas, only MSG had managed to fill a couple of lost dates--the other two were black.

It takes two to tango and right now neither side is hurting enough to even bother making an attempt at a compromise. And in the end, both are going to have to give some. That's the only way we'll be seeing hockey again.