View Single Post
Old
06-25-2009, 09:01 PM
ukyo

vCash: 500
I think while there isn't a hole at center per se, we could stand to upgrade there.
Option A: trade for established top-line center (Lecavalier, Spezza). Has been discussed ad nauseum.
Option B: trade for young up and coming top-line center (Bergeron)

At LW, while my impatient side would LIKE to see a Gaborik or Hossa sign here, I am guessing that Lombardi will go the safe route and get a guy like Sturm.
Option A: sign top line UFA (Gaborik/Hossa/Havlat)
Option B: trade for a top-line LW (Gagne)
Option C: trade for Sturm, sign Tanguay
Option D: trade for Ponikarovsky, sign Antropov

As for defense, I dragged this over from LGK:

If we pick up another defenseman, it's gotta be a more offensive minded one to mentor the kids. O'Donnell is great but none of the kids are going to learn how to run a power play or control the tempo of the game from watching him.

Of the UFAs, Beauchemin is an obvious pick. He's in the right age range to stay with the team, but I'm not sure he's got the offensive acumen to teach our kids a whole lot.

Some other guys that would fit the mentor role:

Zubov - Would be perfect for the young defensemen. Cup winner. Quite expensive and doesn't have a long history of mentoring young defensemen, but did do a fairly good job with Niskanen before he got hurt.

Schneider - Great fit given history, won multiple Cups, got great reviews from the Thrashers for helping mentor Hainsey, Enstrom, and Bogosian. Might be a bit heavy on the cap though.

Spacek - Another guy that Hainsey attributes to his development. Would be more reasonable cap-wise but doesn't have the Cup experience.

Sydor - Over the hill but does have some mentoring experience from playing in Pittsburgh and Columbus. Not sure if that was positive though (he's been fairly useless ever since he left Dallas the first time).

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote