View Single Post
06-26-2009, 02:09 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by BackesNBlack View Post
So, I started playing again after having a 7 year layoff since Highschool hockey. I bought some new equipment but I still had these skates which have about 2 seasons on them right now.

I was wondering how much of a difference I would see going from these older Bauer Vapor 8's to last year's Vapor XXV's or XXXX's would make. The current skates seem comfortable still, and are in pretty good shape. Would it be worth it to get a new pair, or should I keep playing on the old pair until they give out? What are the main differences between the old model vapor 8's and the newer boots?

Here's a pic of what the vapor 8's I have look like, since it appears they have changed quite a bit over time.

I went from Vapor 3s to Vapor XXVs. My new skates are lighter and (shockingly) didn't take as long to break in as my old Vapor 3s.

I'm actually willing to bet that your feet have changed since you last played in highschool, so I'd verify your skate size before making any considerations. Your current skates are fine w/ 2 years of use as long as they still fit properly.

You should also make sure that the skates are in good working order. Make sure nothing on the blade holder has rusted out. Upgrading to new skates won't make any difference for you. If you haven't played in seven years then the edge that high-end skates give you will be negated by your out-of-sync timing, lack of speed, and hands of stone

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote