View Single Post
Old
06-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Old Navy Goat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
Wasting the 13th overall pick on a 3rd/4th line grinder is not something would be happy with. Simply put, Kassian WAS NOT BPA. Which is fine, he is something we desperately need in our pipeline but those acting like he's talented enough to be picked there and the sandpaper is just an added bonus are fooling themselves. Based on talent alone, he's not a first rounder IMO. Hopefully he pans out, but I have my doubts...though I had my doubts about Myers as well and I've been admittedly wrong on that one so far.

Agreed, and I can get behind that.

Personally, I don't think he's all that comparable to Kaleta. He wouldn't be as effective in a 3rd/4th line role as Kaleta is IMO. Kaleta does not work the boards or protect the puck like Kassian, but Kassian doesn't hit as much or as enthusiastically as Kaleta, which is what makes Kaleta SO good in his 3rd/4th line role.
The scouting consensus had him ranked around 13th overall, which coincidentally was higher than Schroeder. The only player you could really make an argument about that fell out of the top 10 and might have been better was Kulikov and there's the spectre of the KHL looming large with him.

Kassian brings some needed grit and size to the lineup, at worse he'll be a servicable player and best turn into something similar to Lucic. They probably in the longrun would have been better rolling the dice with Kreider or Holland (who I think might turn into Getzlaf light).