View Single Post
Old
06-27-2009, 09:26 PM
JDM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
But you said that Dean would have drafted better players?????Unless I misunderstood you.

You also added Quick (another Taylor pick). I am not saying that Dean is not a great drafting GM.....but when you look at his greatest successes (Doughty, Moller and Simmonds) those guys were all selected in the top 61 picks of their respective drafts.....all of the other players that Dean has drafted are still either in juniors, college, Manchester or Ontario. At this point there isn't enough evidence either way to say that Dean is any better at drafting than any other GM the Kings have ever had.

The one thing I will give Dean credit for is holding onto the picks....I strongly believe that Taylor would have traded at least 1 of the 3 top 5 picks the Kings have had over the last 3 years.
My point was that with better overall drafting since 2000 we'd be a better team, whether it is with those three or a different three. Yes, those 3 are the keys now, because that's who we have now.

I meant to say that even had we drafted different players than Brown, Kopi and Fro with those picks, had we not blown the 2004 picks and the two late 2003 picks, we would be a better team. That's it really.

If Taylor had drafted according to Dean's methodology, I think we would still end up with Brown, and probably 3 more guys like Brown. Does that make more sense?

And you are right that we need more time to totally evaluate Dean's drafting with the Kings. We'll see if Hickey or Voynov make an impact this year. I think one of them will. The rest we will need to wait another 3 or so years to really tell one way or the other.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote