Thread: Line Combos: Line Predictions (2009/10 Season)
View Single Post
Old
06-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph View Post
It would take some ridiculously good negotiating but I think if we are able to sign Knuble, Recchi and Alberts and dump Jones for a bag of chips we would have a top 9 as good as last season and a much better defense. Goalie is up in the air. We would have no wiggle room again though.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble
Hartnell-Carter-Recchi
JVR-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Powe-Asham

Timonen-Pronger
Carle-Coburn
Parent-Alberts

Emery
Backlund?
Of all the line combos that I have seen in this thread I liked yours the most. However, I disagree that we will land both Knuble and Recchi; I would argue that one or the other is more realistic. I love the JVR-Giroux-Briere line, but I also wouldn't mind JVR playing with Carter and Hartnell if the chemistry was correct. It also seems like alot of posts neglect Nodl. He filled in nicely last season, but has yet to find his scoring touch at the professional level. I predict that he will make the team out of camp given our tight cap situation and step into a more permanent role on the team possibly on the second or third line depending on chemistry. I admit I am sticking my neck out for him, but I believe that he can become more than just a third or fourth line energy player in this league.

Gagne-Richards-Knuble/Recchi
Hartnell-Carter-Nodl/JVR
Nodl/JVR-Briere-Giroux
Carcillo-Powe-Asham
*Kalinski*

On the defensive side of things I think we would get better matchups against the opposition if we separated Pronger and Timonen. I also agree w/ a previous post that pairing Coburn with Pronger would do wonders for his development.

Pronger-Coburn
Timonen-Parent
Carle-Alberts

On the goalie side of the equation, I agree with you and it looks like we are just going to have to cross our fingers on both Emery and Backlund. Not exactly comfortable with riding into this season with a HUGE question mark at that position. However, we are so close to the cap we don't have much of a choice. I wonder if its true the Canucks are close to resigning Luongo long term? If so then perhaps they are willing to part with Cory Schneider. I would be willing to offer Jones/Carle (hopefully Jones) for Schneider straight up. Its true that Schneider is also not a proven NHL goalie, but he boasts an impressive resume and has excelled at every level he has played in. I think it is only a matter of time before he breaks out of the AHL into a franchise goalie and I would love for it to be with us instead of someone else.