View Single Post
Old
06-28-2009, 07:36 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Ed Litzenberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
I was a big Litz fan & take issue with him being included in this category. I know this came from an "Ultimate Hockey" bio. Anything in that book I would take with a grain of salt as they tend to grab quotes from Coleman & exaggerate them. Litz was my favorite player & I followed his career closely. I agree that in his early years he was more focused on offense (as Richard & other great offensive players also are) but that comes from being the only offensively skilled player on a perennial non-playoff team. Based on my observations, I considered him an excellent 2 way player in those years. The fact that he was captain of the Blackhawks & that Imlach added him to the Leaf cup dynasty speaks to his all round play. I have a game from the Leaf cup win in 1962 where Litz played a defense first role as LW on the Pulford line.
As a winger Ed Litzenberger was very effective defensively as evidenced by his role in 1962. As a center he lacked the speed and the lateral movement required to cover the smaller mobile centers that were his contemporaries.He more than held his own against the bigger centers or the average small centers.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote