Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: Bolland Re-signs 5 year Deal
View Single Post
Old
06-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Retail1LO

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
i would like to see a Hawks fan reasonably crunch some numbers when you have to resign Toews, Keith, and Kane in the same year...that number could get close to 20M if those 3 get greedy. If your paying Bolland 3.4 to be your 2nd line center(not saying i disagree w/the contract), and Campbell 7.14 to be a 2nd pairing dman, then how in the world can you expect those 3 to take less money than those 2? On the open market each of them could get 6-7M easily...And that is leaving out guys like Burish, Ladd, and Hjalmarsson who need to be signed next year and Barker, Versteeg, and Havlat who need to be signed this year.

How is this going to work?
I wouldn't call the restricted free agency market a "free" one. Especially not when you're talking about spending 6 to 7 million. The Sedins have been producing 80+ points annually for YEARS, and they still might not fetch that. Besides...do you understand how much of a teams future draft picks they'll have to mortgage to sign them at that price?

Some people ARE going to leave. Brace for impact. The idea is to lock up the guys that are most important, just like the Penguins did. When you draft SO MANY good players, as there's a potential to do when you draft high year after year, you're going to be in a position where you have your top guys, and every summer you're looking to fill in the gaps. That's how this game works, son.

Retail1LO is offline   Reply With Quote