View Single Post
Old
06-30-2009, 09:03 PM
WG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus1 View Post
I think people have to remember 2 things: good UFAs don't want to come to Montreal, and our good UFAs tend not to want to stay. With these conditions, the best alternative is to trade. Other GMs know this, and so can ask for more because they know we are not in a bargaining position.

I was shocked when I saw the deal, but then I had to face reality ... this is the best we can hope for until Montreal becomes a more attractive destination ... and not only for the party animals who want some Quebecois tail!
This whole thing is just awful. In rough order

1) Gomez' salary limits our other options.
2) This is a terrible contract and actually giving up three useful assets is crazy, as opposed to offering a bag of pucks. Sather: "Well, what do I get out of this? "You don't have to pay Gomez that foolish contract now F off and stop asking about McDonaugh."
3) End of Koivu in Montreal.
4) Related to 1) why not try to sign UFA's first then fall back on this as plan B if you cannot get Sedins, Hossa, whatever.

and to your point, how about:

5) If it's even possible, this move will actually make it less likely for us to get FA's in the future.

Think about the most vilified players on the team over that past 10-15 years; Brisebois (V.1) and Theodore were near the top of the list, because they signed big deals and couldn't live up to them. Not that they were THAT bad, simply performance < contract.

Now consider Gomez, who has absolutely no chance to perform up to his contract. He's a nice player, but zero chance he can reach a level of performance where you'd say, 'yeah, $7.3M for him isn't too bad'. Now add to this the fact that everyone expected Vinny, so Gomez will be the overpaid, underproducing, American-born face of failing to land Vinny. He will be booed to extinction and this will add to the belief that players should go find any other place to play than Montreal.