View Single Post
Old
06-30-2009, 09:48 PM

vCash: 500
Gomez contract is awful and the inclusion of McDonagh has me somewhat baffled (though I wasn't as high on him as most here) but I love Scott Gomez, always terrified me when the Habs played the Devils/Rags, he would always hurt the Habs with his end to end rushes.

I don't care what anyone says, especially not the public opinion here on HFboards which some Habs fans use to gauge any decision it seems, Scott Gomez is a very good player and a fairly significant upgrade on what we had for our top 2 centers the last 2 years. The Rags really struggled scoring goals the last couple of years and I think that has hurt his numbers, Gomez may not be an elite center but he's a PPG/legit #1 center IMO, no question about it.

of course I can't deny the fact that he's got an awful contract, that is part of the trade but the Habs and Gainey have put themselves in a position to take this cap hit and still look to improve the team. So while that 7.35M cap hit sticks out like a sore thumb, the Habs are one of the few teams that can absorb it and continue to try and upgrade the team in other areas. The Habs needed to get better down the middle and this moves does that. I personally think that strictly from a hockey standpoint, Gomez > Koivu + Higgins. That is MY opinion and I know it's probably not share by many but it's what I think.

I still don't think Gainey's done and I suspect he'll make subsequent moves in the next 48hrs which will make this deal look better.