View Single Post
Old
07-01-2009, 04:15 PM
TheCanuckInOttawa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
How is paying a depth dman "big league money" aka the league minimum comparable to front loading a star UFA several million dollars?

LOL @ "good comment". Because the half a million spent on needed depth is what is keeping Gillis from landing big-name UFA's.
I'm not just talking about 1 signing. I'm just complaining on the fact that the team is reluctant to give out a front loaded contract.

Last year, we had multiple players getting paid NHL money while playing for the AHL team.

Oullette - about $1M
Cowen
Krog - I know that part of his contract was paid by Moose (which means another part was paid by Canucks)
Sanford - for the part of the year

So it seems like to me that the team has enough cash flows to pay over the cap and we all heard that Sedins were looking for a front loaded long term contract averaging $5.25M (63/12).

I know 12 years is just too long but what if they were offered something like 7-8 years front loaded contact averaging $5.5M. It makes the team more flexible dealing with the cap than $6.1M. What if the term is kept at 5 years but the salary is front loaded? It would've given Sedins more incentive to sign at lower cap hit.