View Single Post
Old
10-19-2004, 11:44 AM
Brodeur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Boy
Something I start thinking always that I look at the 2001 draft is WHY WE DIDNīT USE THOSE PICKS TO TRADE UP?! we had the 18th and the 30th Tuomo Ruutu was picked at 9th Hemsky at 13th, RJ Umberger at 16th I know that the Kings are drafting great but if DT wants a big #1 center, trade up or gamble and pick them or later rounds so we donīt waste first round picks on Steckel or (Gosh, I hope Iīm wrong) Boyle.
Hindsight is always great. At best the 18th/30th picks could have moved you up to the 10th overall pick, at worst maybe only up to #14. Phoenix traded up to #11 to pick Fredrik Sjostrom (Calgary got #14 and #41). Hamhuis and Hemsky are probably the best players selected from #10-15, but who knows if the Kings even had Hemsky on their radar. IIRC, Hemsky was rated somewhere in the 20s, while Hamhuis was supposed to go top 10 but fell to #12.

And who knows, maybe the Kings' scouting staff really really liked Karlsson and Steckel. Even the best scouting staffs make some big blunders.

It's not fair to sit back and go "you should have done this" unless you are certain the option was there. If the Kings had traded up and taken Umberger, and Umberger refused to sign, you'd be sitting here complaining about why they didn't just keep the picks and draft Marcel Goc and Fedor Tyutin.