View Single Post
Old
07-01-2009, 05:59 PM
mabus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Yes our team is looking very different, there is still many things to look at, and many players to decide upon.

But we did do alright today.
Replacing Komi w/ a defenceman who can put up some offensive threat is a huge plus for me. to me the game is won on the scoreboard, and once a goal was scored we were anemic.
Perhaps but we replaced one of the very best defensive physical defensemen in the game today, with a decent goal scorer. It's not like we got a pure sniper or a 50 goal man in the exchange here.

Quote:
Gomez is a tough SOB to play against. He may not be huge, but he's like Killer in the sense he doesnt let ANYONE push him around/ Intimidate him. He's no shrinking violet, & neither is Camalleri.
Fine, I like Gomez too, he's a decent player, who scored 16 goals or less the past three seasons. Respectable numbers. But how much do you like him at 8 mill a season over the next >FIVE< seasons?

Quote:
& the d,
Markov, Hamr, & Spacek, are 3 competent defencemen. 2 wy threats, that can hurt the opposition on the scoreboard, while playing responsibe defence.
Gill, O'Byrne & Gorges are 3 solid defensive syled d-men who cover the back end and PK competently.
I do believe O'Bee Won will cover the hole left by Komi sufficiently, and in the long run he could be a very solid choice.
add in there, Carle, Subban (who is incredible), and a few others, we are deep.
O'Byrne may or may not develop as you suggest, but Komi >IS< that way now. How much better would we have been with Komisarek AND O'Byrne, AND Valentenko AND McDonagh?

Our defense has been severely weakened today.

Quote:
in net, Price & Halak...

Im not worried, if we gel we can be avery solid team, and hard to beat. Much harder than last year.
Perhaps, until next year when Gainey waits until the very last second to offer contracts again and lets ANOTHER 2 or 3 core players go (as he seems to do EVERY season). And this time with 12 mill tied up in Gomez and Spacek, preventing us from replacing then.

mabus is offline   Reply With Quote