View Single Post
Old
07-02-2009, 08:33 AM
ChesterNimitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
It's "Pollock" not "Pollack". And yes, but that makes it even more difficult to GM OVERALL than back in Sams day.

Pollock had it easy...it was asset for asset. The fact is, salary didn't play much of a role at all as salaries were so low, but teams like the Habs still made a pile of dough. Tax issues etc. played no role either back then.

It's a simpleton approach if assessments are made without taking all key factors into account. But hey, this board has a lot of simpletons...so who cares about the music if the audience is deaf.
As my earlier post implied, the 'best player' approach is, at best, only a superficial way of assessing a trade - a somewhat more elegant useage than your 'simpleton' characterization. Nevertheless, I still like a trade where my team ends up with the best player. In Gomez, Montreal now has a dynamic, high tempo player who is among the top 5 or 6 puck transporters in the league. Whether his addition and the other free agency signings make Montreal a contender remains to be seen. There is, however, one thing that is unquestioned: changes had to be made. Last year's team could not (or would not) compete against the league's other elite teams. The Canadiens' pitiful playoff performance against Boston was all the confirmation any observer needed.

That is all.