View Single Post
Old
10-20-2004, 10:35 AM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolverjgw
And this was the EASTERN CONFERENCE, whom that Islander fan up there thinks is sooooo tough... tight checking playoffs. No problem, he carried the team on his ailing back.
The results do not lie. Teams from the Western Conference did not play in the finals for years until the conference playoffs were reinstated.

What I also wrote was the disparity ended in the 90's between the Eastern and Western Conference. By 1997, it was a level playing field and the West had more dominating teams.

I'm not putting down Gretzky's vision and abilities and it's hard to argue with numbers and no doubt he was an outstanding player.

I am saying many of the numbers in his prime are like Barry Bonds hitting 200 homeruns a year playing the Devil Rays, Brewers, Tigers while winning World Series the way the Marlins got by a tired Yankee team last year.

No way do I see Gretzky or those Oiler teams doing what they did as an Eastern Conference team. Which is why I see Lemieux and Bossy's numbers as more significant because you cannot win playing that style in this conference.