View Single Post
Old
07-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
I was born and lived in Washington D.C. till I was 7 years old. I got my love for hockey from my parents who both followed the Washington Capitals. I would play hockey in the street all the time. My parents then decided to move to Georgia. As most of you know, there isn't much hockey in south Georgia. I learned how to roller blade and I'd play street hockey with the neighborhood kids. I taught most of them how to play. I kept playing street hockey in that neighborhood until we moved again. This time we moved to the middle of the woods and out closest neighbor was a couple miles away.

I'd play hockey with my Dad and 2 little brothers(the youngest is a goalie) in our drive-way. Our drive-way is only 16 feet by 16 feet so it was small. I made friends at school got them interested in hockey. They'd come over to my house and we'd have 3-on-3 inline hockey on a small drive-way. I think that's where I developed my good stick-handling and checking ability, you had so many people in a small area. You had to stick-handle around them or go through them. I'd play in my drive-way all day and night. I kept doing this until I was about 15.

My Dad ended up getting a raise and my parents had concrete poured in out back-yard. It was only 60 feet by 60 feet and didn't have boards, but it was much more spacious then the drive-way. Me, my Dad, brothers and friends would play on our small rink all the time. Even though we were playing in-line we played like it was ice. We'd hit, fight, block-shots and all that good stuff. There was an in-line hockey league in Savannah that I knew about but it was 1 hour and 30 minutes away and expensive. My parents couldn't pay for me and my 3 brothers to all play. Well my dad got another raise and we were able to play in the league.

I had never played against other kids before or played in a real league before so there was an adjustment period for me. I wasn't used to the rink size or boards. I ended up having a great year scoring 33 goals in 18 games. My highlight of the year came in the playoffs when I scored 10 goals in 2 games. My team got eliminated but I was named league MVP.

And that's were I'm at now. I'm playing in a high school in-line hockey league. I'm pretty proud of myself for being able to play as good as I do after never playing organized hockey. I sometimes wonder if I could have had a career in hockey if I had stayed in D.C...I doubt it but you never know.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote